As you probably know, Lisbon is well known for its ‘azulejos’. However, we bet that you did not know our city is also considered an open-air canvas for urban street art! In fact, Portugal is ranked in the top 10 countries for outstanding street art! Lisbon’s decorated walls are without a doubt the true hidden artistic beauty of this beautiful city and we want to share this with you on our tour!
Street Art has become a strong movement in the Portuguese capital with artists being commissioned to decorate the walls and doorways of the winding streets. The tour will take you to Mouraria to discover iconic pieces by local and international artists such as: Banksy, Utopia, Vhils and Shepard Fairey.
Street Art is something that is constantly changing with time – one minute it is there and the next it is gone! While some of these pieces tend to be for the mere fun of it, many are political in nature and aim to make a statement to be seen by any and all who pass by. During this tour our local guide will also uncover the political, historical and cultural movements behind these impressive murals and tags.
- What Will You DoThis tour shows you a very diverse set of street art and provides information about the techniques used, artist's life and an introduction to mural works sponsored by galleries.
You will also see graffiti such as tags or posters and stencils, from international and national artists. In Bairro Alto you will be introduced to the history of street art in the city, from vandalism on trains and walls, up until the first explosion of political murals and the legalization of street art in 2008 by the city council. This was done in the same neighborhood with projects that Lisbon developed such as the Gallery of Urban Art or the Project APAUrb, which provides frameworks and places for artists to express themselves legally.
Stepping to the other side of Lisbon, in Mouraria and Graça you will find a diversity of murals and projects that are helping with the renovation of these old neighborhoods. These projects are intended to give life and color to the abandoned buildings. Most of them have a social or political message while others are intended to memorialize important people from Portuguese culture.
The tour finishes with a mural from the national super star, Vhills, in partnership with Shepard Fairey, the artist who is known from the Obey stickers and the Obama Poster.
- What To Expect- Discover the stories invisible to passing eyes, whilst understanding the political, historical and cultural movements behind these masterpieces. Walk with us discovering the secrets of hidden streets with our expert guide of urban art.
- Explore different types of street art around Lisbon by walking through the neighborhoods of Bairro Alto, Mouraria and finishing at Graça. Discover incredible hidden street art in the tiny streets of Lisbon.
- What Is Included- Expert guide of Portuguese urban art
- Exciting walk and show of graffiti