This Park is still relatively underdeveloped; however, its beauty lies in its wilderness state. The diversity of animals is not as wide as the other big parks, but the opportunities to get close to the game wandering in and out of the Zambezi channels are spectacular. The Park lies opposite the famous Mana Pools Reserve in Zimbabwe, so the whole area on both sides of the Zambezi River is a massive wildlife sanctuary.
The River’s edge is overhung with a thick riverine fringe, including ebony and fig trees. Further inland is a floodplain fringed with mopane forest and interspersed with winter thorn trees and huge acacias. The hills which form the backdrop to the Park are covered in broadleaf.
Even though the Lower Zambezi National Park covers an area of 4092 square kilometers, most of the game is concentrated along the valley floor. There is an escarpment along the northern end which acts as a physical barrier to most of the Park’s animal species. Enormous herds of elephant, some up to 100 strong, are often seen at the river’s edge. ‘Island hopping’ buffalo and waterbuck are common. The Park also hosts good populations of lion and leopard, and listen too for the ubiquitous cry of the fish eagle.
- What Will You DoDay 1: Arrive & Transfer to Kiambi Safari Lodge in Lower Zambezi Valley
On arrival at Lusaka Airport, our representative will take you on about 3.5hrs road transfer to Kiambi Safari Lodge in the Lower Zambezi valley where you will stay for 3 nights which will give you an unforgettable Zambian safari experience. Depending on your arrival time you will check-in, lunch, and later in the afternoon Complementary sunset Boat Cruise. Then dinner and bedtime.
Day 2: Overnight Canoe Safari – Lower Zambezi
Breakfast is at 07h30, followed by meeting your canoeing guide to give you a brief run-down of the canoeing trip, dangerous animals, safety measures while on the river and at the campsites, and techniques on canoeing.
Departure is from the jetty, proceeding down the river. A stop is made for tea, which is set up by the backup boat. After that, you stop for lunch, which is also set up by the backup boat. Then you continue downriver after lunch.
The backup boat goes on ahead to set up the campsite. In the late afternoon, we stop at the campsite at Buffalo Beans, situated on an island, Tents, bedrolls, wash-up facilities, a drop toilet, and a bucket shower facility will all be set up when you get there. Dinner, fresh drinking water, and juice are always provided.
Day 3: Full Day Game Drive Safari in Lower Zambezi National Park
Today you have a mini Breakfast early tea/coffee and snacks then the Motor Boat will come from the lodge with a picnic (Packed) will come to pick you. An adventure early Morning Cruise to the Chongwe Conference, where you will find a 4x4 Open Sided Safari Car. Here you will pay for park entry fees and then get on the Vehicle; your guide will give you the briefing. You will enjoy this wonderful park with game viewing and then later your guide will stop for some breakfast and continue with your game viewing until around 1 pm you will have lunch in the bush. Relax a bit before continuing until around 3 pm you will return to the Chongwe Confluences and get on the boat than about 1.5hrs boat Cruise back to the lodge arriving just before dark. You will then go to your room freshen up and then relax a bit before you know it, it’s already dinner time with this amazing Riverview with open blue sky and stars. After dinner, you are free to enjoy some cold drinks from the bar or hold drinks then bedtime at a convenient time.
Day 4: Transfer from Kiambi Safari Lodge to Lusaka/Lusaka Airport
Breakfast then you will check out of the lodge and depending on your flight time out of Lusaka or onward arrangements, our driver will take you on a 3.5 hours road transfer to Lusaka International Airport.
- What To Expect- Unique and Famous Lower Zambezi Canoe Safari
Experience one of the amazing and must-do activities in lower Zambezi, relax and enjoy the river and also view wild animals from a canoe. Get closer to nature with hippos on the river and elephants crossing the river as well as lots of birds.
- Full-Day Game Drive in Lower Zambezi National Park
Spend time in the bush looking for 4 of the big 5 and enjoy the bush experience with picnic lunch you start with the sunrise cross downstream and you end with the sunset cruise upstream. What a way to combine water and land-based activities.
- Overnight Canoeing Safari with wilderness Island Camping
Enjoy your sleep out with camping on the island and getting closer to nature. Listening to the sounds of the animals while in your tents.
- Boat Safari on the Zambezi River
You will enjoy the boat cruise, sunrise Cruise and Sunset cruise
- Closer to nature experience
All the activities and your stay will bring you to closer experience.
- What Is Included- 3 nights in Accommodation (First & Last Night Luxury Ensuite Tented Chalet & 2nd Night Overnight Canoe on the island)
- All Meals (Breakfast, Lunch, Three Course Dinner)
- 1 x Sunset Boat Cruise
- 1 x Overnight Canoe Safari
- 1 x Full Day Game Drive Safari in Lower Zambezi National Park
- Return Lusaka to Kiambi Safari Lodge Road Transfers
- What Is Not Included- Visa fees (USD 50.00 single entry )
- Travel & Medical insurance to cover trip cancellation or any interruption
- International and Local; Flight
- Laundry Service and drinks from the bar
- USD 25.00 PP 1 Day Park Fees for Lower Zambezi National Park
- Anything of personal nature
- Know Before You Go- This is a more private itinerary where all road transfers will be for your booking as a couple, family and friends, and no strangers clients will be put together. However, activities will be shared with others.
- Recommended Maximum per group is 8 pax but we do take big groups per booking.
- Some activities need a minimum of 12 years
- You need your Passport for Visa and entry into Zambia. Contact us for visa support