The name of Chiapas comes from the word Chiapan or Tepechiapan, a form in which the old indigenous population of the Chiapanecas was designated, and whose meaning is “Cerro de la Chia” or “Agua bajo del Cerro”. The conquerors, when founding two cities in the region, Chiapa de los Indios and Chiapa de los Españoles, adopted for both the Province of Chiapas. But his story is even older.
His artistic manifestations are varied. They emphasize the pottery and the textiles. His music is formed by zapeados, marches and sones played with marimba. They are also important the dances of mache or monkeys, and of morisma and the indigenous ritual music in the region of Los Altos.
The most representative dishes of the entity are: the party soup, the baked cochinito and the chipilín con pelita, which is delicious when accompanying the tamales. In the area of the littoral abound all kinds of dishes based on fish and seafood, as in the case of fish salpicón, grouper sausage, smoked lisa and shuti broth. Its traditional cuisine also includes red meats, such as armadillo in mole, venison and dried beef in pulque, although definitely the best dish is the tamale from Chiapas. In San Cristóbal de las Casas, dishes of Spanish influence stand out, such as longaniza, serrano ham and butifarra, as well as crystallized sweets, cocadas, cajetas and pressed peaches.
The song and sound of the indigenous ancestors as it passes through the thick Lancadona Jungle, the refreshing Lagos de Montebello, and the cold Sierra del Soconusco today is difficult to hear … However, its musical legacy endures in an internationally recognized instrument of Mexican manufacture, the marimba.
- What Will You DoDay 1: Sumidero Canyon - Chiapa de Corzo: Reception at 08:00 or 09:00 AM at the Central Truck Station and transfer to the jetty to take a boat ride in the Sumidero Canyon and visit Chiapa de Corzo, a colonial city and Magic Town. Later, transfer to San Cristóbal de Las Casas. Estimated time of the tour: 5 hours. Overnight
Day 2: Montebello Lakes - El Chiflón Waterfalls: 8:15 AM reception at the hotel and transfer to El Chiflón to meet and enjoy the wonderful "Velo de Novia" waterfall, a spectacular fall of 120 meters in the middle of a thick forest. Then we continue to Montebello to see the main lakes in the area. Later, return to San Cristóbal de Las Casas. Estimated time of the tour: 12 hours. Overnight
Day 3: San Juan Chamula - Zinacantán: At 09:25 AM, reception at the hotel and transfer to San Juan Chamula and Zinacantán, artisanal indigenous villages, where visitors know prehispanic customs and traditions and live with a family of the Tsotsil ethnic group. At the end of the tour I return to San Cristóbal de Las Casas. Estimated time of the tour: 5 hours. Overnight
Day 4: Agua Azul - Misol Há - Archaeological Zone of Palenque: Reception 04:15 AM in hotel, to start the trip to waterfalls of Agua Azul and Misol ha, of international recognition, and later we visit and tour the archaeological zone of Palenque, one of the main legacies of Mayan culture in Mexico. Then, transfer to the hotel. Estimated time of the tour: 12 hours. Overnight
Day 5: Archaeological zones of Bonampak and Yaxchilán: Reception 06:00 AM in hotel and trip to Frontera Corozal, where we boarded a boat on the Usumacinta River and on the dividing line between Mexico and Guatemala, to reach the Z.A. of Yaxchilán. Upon return, transfer to the Z.A. from Bonampak, in the middle of the Selva Lacandona, and later, transfer to the cabins to rest. Estimated time of the route: 10 hours. Overnight
Day 6: Hiking in the Lacandon Jungle: Around 08:30 hours, after breakfast and accompanied by a Lacandón guide, we will start hiking in the Lacandon Jungle, to discover new places, mainly an unexplored archaeological zone, rivers , waterfalls and thick jungle vegetation. Later he returns to the cabins to eat and wait for the truck to return to Palenque. Later, transfer by public transport (bus) to Tuxtla Gutiérrez and / or Villahermosa. Estimated time of the trip: 13 hours. End of services.
- What Is Included- Reception airport or bus station in Tuxtla Gutiérrez
- 6 days of touristic tours in group service, sharing tours with other people
- 3 nights accommodation in San Cristóbal de Las Casas (choose hotel category)
- 1 night accommodation in Palenque (choose hotel category)
- 1 night lodging in Selva Lacandona (rustic cabins with private toilet)
- Reception in hotels and cabins for tourist tours
- 2 American breakfasts in hotels (except in 2 star category)
- 5 meals the last 3 days for the Jungle (3 breakfasts, 2 meals)
- Tickets to all tourist sites
- Boat for travel inside the Sumidero Canyon
- Boat on the Usumacinta River to reach Yaxchilán
- Transport of Lacandones to reach Bonampak
- Lacandón guide during the walk inside the Lacandon Jungle
- Public transport by bus to Tuxtla Gutiérrez and / or Villahermosa (scheduled time)
- Comprehensive coverage insurance in case of accident on board
- Experienced drivers
- What Is Not Included- Flights
- Unspecified foods
- TransfersPlease be in the lobby of your hotel 10 minutes before the indicated time, our staff will call you by your name when approaching, the staff will reconfirm the destination of the route and include them requested, then will adress the transportation.
To pick them up at the airport, you need to provide your flight information.