Experience the natural beauty of Ria Formosa on a guided walk of the salt pans, marshes, and pine woodlands of the protected habitat of many species of birds. Ria Formosa is one of Portugal’s Seven Natural Wonders, and you’ll soon discover why.
You’ll enjoy a guided walking tour of this sacred land, and discover the natural beauty and wildlife that is protected here. On this private tour we explore the protected areas of Ludo and Quinta do Lago. These two areas are extraordinary places for birdwatching, in fact, some of the best birding spots in the Algarve.
As you walk past the marshlands, you’ll enjoy stunning views of the lagoon. If the tide is out you’ll be able to see local people working on their clam farms as your local guide tells you about this important economic activity.
Enjoy incredible views over the saltpans and learn about the traditional salt extraction methods used in the Algarve. The region is famous for the quality of its salt which is known here as white gold. Keep your eyes peeled for amazing birdlife like the colorful Greater Flamingo and many other birds which are common species in these parts. You’ll be walking in one of the best bird watching spots in the Algarve.
As you reach the fresh water lagoon, there will be time for a rest break while you look for the Purple Swamphen, a beautiful bird that is the symbol of the Nature Park. We continue down the trail towards the lagoon and its beautiful views, a perfect end to a wonderful outing exploring the beauty of Ria Formosa!
Ludo and Quinta do Lago are well worth discovering. Join us on a guided walk in this beautiful site. We promise you a memorable outing with a local guide who enjoys a walk as much as you do.
- What To ExpectLet us take you on a lovely guided walk in Ria Formosa. Get your boots on for a wildlife walk at the westernmost part of Ria Formosa and discover one of best birdwatching spots in the Algarve with a knowledgeable local guide.
Make sure to join this lovely guided walk through Portugal’s stunning Ria Formosa.
Enjoy a 3-hour guided walk through the pine woodlands, marshes, and salt pans of Ria Formosa in the protected areas of Ludo and Quinta do Lago. This is a nature walk to discover the natural beauty and wildlife of this protected wetland area of the Algarve and learn about traditional salt extraction and clam farming with an enthusiastic local guide.
- What Is Included- 3-hour private walking tour
- Local guide
- Live commentary by knowledgeable local guide
- Transfer from meeting point to the starting point of the walk and return
- What Is Not Included- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- All other extras
- Know Before You Go- Bring plenty of water to drink to avoid dehydration.
- Bring casual clothing and comfortable footwear. For your comfort and security, and in recognition of the fact that paths in places may be stony or wet, it is essential that you have appropriate footwear. Either strong walking shoes or boots which give ankle support and have soles with a good grip (boots are obviously the better option, plimsolls are definitely not!.
- Walking poles, if you have them, take the strain off the joints and are handy, if not essential.
- A light waterproof coat and comfortable clothing are also advisable.
- A rucksack or backpack is recommended to carry a small snack, sunglasses, binoculars, camera, hat and a good sun cream.
- Not wheelchair accessible.