The name of BÉCAL is possibly the Castilianization of the Mayan word BEL-KAH, that is to say “Path that leads to the people”. However, there is another version that defends the origin of Bécal from the word BEL-HA, which in Spanish means “Way of water”, since according to comments from the old settlers, there was a stream of water that crossed the center of the town, -in what is currently the subsoil of the Municipal Palace-, being stored in a small cenote.
As time went on, the water mantle was reduced until it completely disappeared, then, the name of the village becomes BEL-CAN, “Camino de culebras”.
When the Spaniards arrived in these Mayan lands, they changed the phonetic and prosodic sense of many populations, which is why BEL-CAN is transformed into Bécal, the name by which it is known today.
- What Will You DoYou will be picked up from your hotel in Merida and transferred to the small village of Becal, located just at the border of Yucatan and Campeche states. Visit 17-century colonial church and the Parque de los Sombreros, known for its big hats monument. Learn about the process of making Panama hats from Jipi-japa fiber, watch a demonstration by local artisans who have been working inside caves for several generations to preserve the quality of the palm fronds.
From Becal you will continue your tour to Campeche, the ancient walled city, located at the coast of the Gulf of Mexico and, once a fortress against the pirates' attacks during the colonial times. Your first stop will be at Fuerte San Miguel, the biggest 17-century fortress of Campeche, now converted into Mayan Archaeological Museum.
After that, you will visit the historic district of the city and enjoy a local lunch. After lunch you will have free time to explore on your own, walk and take pictures of the cathedral and old city gates Puerta de Mar y Puerta de Tierra, before returning to your hotel in Merida.
- What Is Included- Transportation
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- What Is Not Included- Entrance fees
- Meals and Drinks
- Any extra unmentioned
- TransfersWe will pick you up and drop you off in your accommodation in Merida. Please contact us after booking to provide your address.
On the day of the tour, please be in the lobby of your hotel 10 minutes before the indicated time, our staff will call you by your name when approaching. The staff will reconfirm the destination of the route and include them requested, then will address you to the transportation.