The Champagne Region is just over an hour from Paris and makes an ideal day trip for wine lovers. We will visit historical sites, drive through stunning landscape and charming villages and of course drink champagne!
Your guide will explain the historical origins of Champagne and the significance of Reims and its cathedral. You’ll also hear the fascinating story of Dom Perignon and how he perfected the art of Champagne production.
Later we’ll visit one of the premier Champagne Houses in Epernay and a smaller producer for contrast. You’ll learn how this iconic wine is produced and take a tour into the underground cellars.
Please Bring Something warm to wear on the Champagne tour. The cellars are cool all year round (10°C/50°F).
Cellar Tour You can choose the Champagne House we visit (entry fees vary). Suggestions include: Moet & Chandon, Tattinger, HG Mumm, Veuve Clicquot, Mercier, Ruinart & Pommery.
- What Will You DoTour Itinerary:
1. We'll pick you up from your hotel around 7.30am to start our adventure to Champagne country. Just sit back and relax and we'll give you an introduction to the history of the Champagne. The drive is approximately 1 hour.
2. Our first stop will be in the historic city of Reims, the capital of Champagne. We will visit the classic gothic cathedral and learn about its history and significance in the origins of Champagne.
3. Next we will head to the charming village of Hautvilliers. Here at Saint Peter's Abbey a young monk by the name of Dom Perignon perfected the art of making Champagne. We will also visit his final resting place.
4. Next we will have a break for lunch in the lovely town of Epernay. Your guide will be able to recommend some restaurant options for you. Why not treat yourself to a glass of Champagne?
5. After lunch we will proceed to your choice of Champagne house. You will be taken on a tour of the underground cellars and be educated on the Champagne making process. Your tour will conclude in the tasting room where you will have a chance to sample this exquisite wine and make a toast to Dom Perignon.
6. Next we'll have the opportunity to experience the contrast of a smaller producer and sample their Champagne. This is often a highlight for our guests.
7. Once the tour concludes we'll jump back in the vehicle and start the drive back to Paris. We aim to return to your hotel at around 5.30pm. If you’d prefer us to take you to a bar or restaurant to continue your evening in Paris, then please let us know.
- What Is Included- All Transport
- Licensed Guide
- Entry to Cathedral & Abbey are Free
- What Is Not Included- Meals
- Ticket to Champagne House
- Tasting Fees