Haciendas in Mexico were the basis of an economic system begun by the Spaniards in the 16th century, similar to the feudal system of Europe. They were efficient farming and manufacturing centers that produced meat, produce, and other products for export. Over time, haciendas became symbols of wealth and culture, adorned with architecture, furnishings and art from around the world.
The haciendas of Yucatán saw their heyday in the early 1900s when the local economy was booming due to the sisal fiber that was used to make rope, cord, and twine. The mansions on Paseo de Montejo and Avenida Colón in Mérida, are the rich homes the “green gold”, henequén, helped provide.
It was the same owners of these mansions who built haciendas off in the countryside where the henequén was produced. After the Yucatán Caste War and the subsequent invention of synthetic fibers, most haciendas were abandoned to decay in the jungles. A trip to Yucatán would be incomplete without visiting some of the many haciendas within a few minutes drive of Mérida.
- What Will You Do- Departure at 09:00 at your hotel
- Arrival at first Hacienda at 10:40 approximately. The guide will buy entry tickets for all groups.
- Visit for 40 minutes each place, 2 haciendas and 2 cenotes, jewels of nature, which have crystal waters and invite you to swim in them (visits with a specialized bilingual guide)
- After that will go to the restaurant with delicious yucatecan food, you'll have time to eat.(drinks and meals are not included).
- Round trip transportation from your hotel
- Arrive at Merida City at 16:00 approximately
- What Is Included- Transportation
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- What Is Not Included- Entrance fees
- Meals and drinks
- Any extra unmentioned
- TransfersWe will pick you up and drop you off in your accommodation in Merida. Please contact us after booking to provide your address.
On the day of the tour, please be in the lobby of your hotel 10 minutes before the indicated time, our staff will call you by your name when approaching. The staff will reconfirm the destination of the route and include them requested, then will address you to the transportation.