The boat trip is approximately 2 hours long and we leaving the calm waters of the Ria Formosa towards the blue ocean, reaching up 5 miles offshore.
We go along the coastline of the Algarve, pass by the barrier-islands of Ria Formosa and Santa Maria Cape (the most southern point of Portugal) in the quest for dolphins and other marine wildlife.
We may see several species of cetaceans, the most sighted being the Common Dolphin (Delphinus delphi) and Bottlenose Dolphin (Tursiops truncatus).
Seabirds are a constant presence and the most seen species are the Northern Gannet (Morus bassanus), Balearic Shearwater (Puffinus mauretanicus), Mediterranean Gull (Larus melanocephalus) and several species of Storm-petrels. Seagulls are of course also common sighting specially when we pass by fishing boats.
During this there is also the possibility of observing other marine wildlife species such as sea turtles, the Ocean Sunfish (Mola mola), sharks and occasionally other cetaceans species such as the Harbour Porpoise (Phocoena phocoena) and the Minke Whale (Balaenoptera acutorostrata).
After this exciting experience in the sea we return to the Ria Formosa when the tour ends.
(1) Formosamar can not fully guarantee the observation of marine wildlife. Because they are in their natural habitat, encounters with dolphins and other marine animals may not be possible during the tour.
(2) Formosamar also organizes pelagic trips to observe seabirds.
(3) The schedules of departures and arrivals, the duration and itinerary of these activities are subject to change without prior notice due to security determined by the weather conditions, tides and / or any other circumstances beyond our control.
- What Will You Do- A boat trip through the waters of the Algarve Coast in the company of a nature tour guide
- Learn about the marine life in their natural habitat
- Observe dolphins, seabirds and sea turtles swimming freely
- What Is Included- Boat trip
- Professional local guide
- Safety equipment