Today’s tour takes us south of Hobart through the picturesque Huon Valley a region famous for its abundant produce of apples, pears, cherries and fish farming.
Our first adventure for today is to explore the Tahune Forest Airwalk. We head up the short hill to begin our walk along the Cantilever. It stretches for 597 m through the treetops. Enjoy the sensation of being suspended above the Huon River with breathtaking views across the treetops and surrounding mountains. We have time to explore and enjoy more walking here at Tahune. We can take on a longer walk (45mins) to experience the “Swinging Bridges”. With a 50m span across the river this is another thrilling experience and makes for fabulous photos! For a more “tame” experience there is the easy 20 minute Huon Pine Walk where these famous and unique local trees grow alongside the river with some as old as 2000 years, a delightful and enchanting short walk.
We continue our journey south to the Hastings Cave Reserve. This is a quiet, remote and spectacular area where we enjoy a variety of activities and soak up the unique atmosphere. Bring your swimming gear and jump into the Thermal Springs swimming pool where the water is always 28 degrees, fed by the naturally heated waters of the thermal springs nearby. OR just relax in the beautiful forest surrounds, wander along the Hot Springs Nature Trail where the warm water meets the cool water, and also home to the unique & playful Platypus, keep your eye out for this elusive local.
We head underground to explore the spectacular cave which is Australia’s largest tourist Dolomite Cave. We join the underground tour expertly conducted by the National Parks & Wildlife guides. The cave temperature is always 9 degrees so bring your jumper along.
Our return to Hobart allows us the opportunity to make some short stops along the way. There is opportunity to stop at the many roadside stalls and collect some delicious local produce such as Cherries, Berries, Apples, Ice-creams and also a stop for a honey tasting along the way. (fruit & produce stops are seasonal and may also vary due to changeable operating hours of the various operators.)
We return to Hobart City accommodation around 5.30-6.00pm.
- What To Expect- Visit the Tahune Airwalk Forest Reserve
- Walk amongst the trees on the Cantilever 40m above the ground
- Discover Tasmania’s unique ancient trees on the Huon Pine Walk
- Walk above the river on the Swinging Bridges Walk
- Visit Hastings Caves State Reserve
- Enjoy the fully guided Cave Tour, 40 m below the ground
- Take a swim in the Thermal Springs swimming pool
- Test the water temperatures on the Hot Springs Nature Track
- Keep a sharp eye out on the Platypus Walk
- Drive the Huon Valley and discover Tasmania’s diverse Apple growing history
- Enjoy seasonal roadside stops – Honey Tasting, Ice-creams, Berries, Apples, Cherries
- What Is Included- Tahune Airwalk entrance fees
- National Park entrance fees
- Hastings Caves & Thermal Springs Pool fees
- Guided Tour of Hastings Caves
- Professional guides and interpretive walks
- Small, friendly groups
- Central Hobart Hotel & Backpacker Hostel pick up and drop off