Listing ID: 85174
From Olhão: Half-Day Boat Tour To The Islands Of Ria Formosa
Easy Cancellation - Cancel 3 days before for a full refund
Printed or mobile voucher accepted
Fast booking confirmation
This is one of our most complete tours where you have the opportunity to see a larger area of the Ria Formosa and its beautiful islands in front of Olhão, that excel by their unique features and beauty.
Departing at 13:00h from Olhão, this tour goes through the canals in front of Olhão and to the Barrier Islands that protect the Ria Formosa. On this tour you’ll be able to see the Farol Bar and the Sta Maria Lighthouse in Farol Island, one of the 3 lighthouses in the Algarve.
Following our course we’ll make a 1,5-hour stop for lunch (not included) in Culatra, a fisherman’s village with nearly 1000 residents whose main economic activity is fishing.
The Island has all the infrastructures you would expect in a normal town; shops, restaurants, school, church, medical office and so on. There´s even a football pitch and it´s own local team! During the break you can go for a nice lunch of fresh fish in one of the typical restaurants or go for a nice picnic at the beach.
Afterwards we’ll continue the tour and go to Armona bay and island where we’ll do another stop – this time for 30 minutes. Then return to Olhão passing close to several tuna factories and to the fishing harbour.
- What Will You Do1. Olhão
2. Farol Island
3. Deserta Island
4. Culatra Island (1,5-hour stop for lunch, price not included)
5. Armona Bay
6. Armona island (30-minute stop)
- What To Expect- Olhão: There are indications that the Olhão territory is populated since prehistoric times. The proximity to the inlet and the abundance of water and fish led to the establishment of the first fishermen. The development of inshore and offshore fishing activity, and the development of the commercial trades led to a great development of the town, which in 1695, was known by Nossa Senhora do Rosário from Olhão. The small fishing village had an great economic, social and urban development, so in 1985 was elevated to city, getting known for the Olhão Restoration city. Currently remains a land of fishermen and canning industrial, but the crisis in the sector has led to the increase of tourism as an economic alternative.
- Armona Island: The island has about 9 km long, maximum width of 1400m on the SW end and a long frontal dune 8-9 m tall. The dune line is robust and well vegetated till Fuzeta. The widest part of the island is on the west extreme where we find the town of Armona, formed by fishermens and shellfishes. Nowadays most of the houses serve as holiday homes for owners and/or renting houses in summer period.
- Culatra Island: The island has 7km long and the initial population came almost in 1880 from near villages dedicated to the fishing of sardines from the fishing frame. The village, currently with about 1000 inhabitants and 350 houses, occurred from being a strategic area for fishing. Dwelling houses with wooden walls and thatched roofs.
- Hangares: The existing population is due to the former base of Portuguese Naval Aviation constituted by seaplanes to watch over the coast. They had two hangars (large warehouses) that gave name to the place. Nowadays there are only traces from the base form by the foundation of the hangars The settlement is still recognized for it's chapel, Our Lady of the Rosary of the hangares.
- Farol (Lighthouse): The lighthouse was built in 1851 giving the name to this population that developed later around it forming cluster of houses. Now has a high occupational index but rather seasonal. It is a fishing village made up of modest houses, sandy streets and holiday's accommodations facing the estuary. Tourism is now one of the main resources.
- Desert Island: 8 km long and 70-700 m width. Has very low human occupation. To the east along the lagoon you will find some huts of small fishing storage, a restaurant and a beach with concession next to the bar Faro-Olhão. It has a wooden walkway that runs along the side of the lagoon and ends at the sea coast beach.
- What Is Included- Skipper and guide
- Boat tour