Listing ID: 84214
Full-Day Tour To Maria Island Starting From HobartEnjoy a big day out on this island National Park. Maria Island has a diverse range of highlights including convict history, spectacular coastal cliffs and deserted beaches. Access to the island is by Ferry for foot passengers only (no cars on this island). Bring your comfortable walking shoes ready! Duration: 11 Hours (approx.)
Easy Cancellation - Cancel 3 days before for a full refund
Printed or mobile voucher accepted
Fast booking confirmation
Just one hour’s drive from Hobart to the ferry and 30 minutes across the water, brings us to Maria Island – a stunning island National Park. It is rich in local wildlife, amazing scenery and world heritage convict history. We enjoy a series of moderate walks exploring the beautiful Painted Cliffs, the dramatic Fossil Cliffs and the remarkable Darlington World Heritage convict site. With no cars on the island the area is peaceful, beautiful, the pace is slow and relaxed, and the beaches are perfect for summer swimming.
This is a tour for active travellers who are keen to walk and enjoy this unique island. Setting out on foot we have 2 main walking trails for the day, covering a total distance of almost 10 kilometers. Both of our walks are categorised as Great Short Walks of Tasmania. The Painted Cliffs Walk at Hopground Beach feature the beautifully patterned sandstone cliffs. The Fossil Cliffs walk, takes us along to amazing cliffs that drop sheer into the ocean. It offers a fascinating insight into the past environments of Maria Island along with expansive views of the Freycinet Peninsula.
You have an opportunity to swim, photograph and soak up the island life as Maria works its magic on you. Maria Island is a National Park so we are exposed to all that nature will offer on the day, so please come prepared.
The island is a haven for abundant wildlife, it is one of Tasmania’s bird watching hot spots. Wombats can also be seen around the island, as well as Pademelons, Forester Kangaroos, Bennetts wallabies and Tasmanian Devils.
Even the ferry ride is part of the highlights of the day, the waters we cross are also abundant in sea life, we keep our eyes peeled for dolphins, seals and penguins along the way. Join us on this day of discovery rich in environmental and cultural history.
- What To Expect- Explore Maria Island National Park (6hrs)
- Watch for Dolphins & Whales on the ferry journey (30 mins each way)
- Walk to amazing “Painted Cliffs” and wander amongst the unusual rock formation
- Enjoy spectacular views as walk to the “Fossil Cliffs”
- Explore and discover the geological history amongst the exposed fossils
- Walk around and discover and the convict history at the Darlington World Heritage convict site
- Be amazed at the abundant wildlife enjoying life on their amazing island
- Relax and take in all the stunning secluded bays and beaches in this paradise setting
- What Is Included- National Park entrance fee
- Return ferry crossing fee
- Professional guides and interpretive walks
- Small, friendly groups
- Central Hobart Hotel & Backpacker Hostel pick up and drop off
- Airport drop offs on request with prior arrangement ** please note, delays can be possible based on the returning ferry and conditions on the day