Time seems to have stood still in the beautiful hacienda of Sotuta de Peon. One feels like one has been transported back to the 19th century when the fibre henequen was cultivated right across the yucatan and sold all over the world. From the moment of your arrival you feel as though you are inside a real live functioning hacienda. The architecture has been conserved as has the steam-powered chimney, the storage room for the henequen and a Deauville railway network where the small carts of hennequen were pulled along by mules. It´s one of the few haciendas in Yucatan where hennequen is still produced.
Depart early from your Merida at the places especified pick up and commence the journey to Hacienda Sotuta de peon in a comfortable and air-conditioned minivan. You’ll given a tour starting in the main homestead which covers the colonial furnishings, decoration and architecture. The next section of the tour takes the visitor to the machinery room where you can see the process of obtaining fibre from the leaves of hennequen in action. Later the tour goes on to the areas where the fiber is dried. In the corcheria the fiber is combed by a machine and is made into rope of varying thicknesses and finally into a hennequen fabric. A traditional mayan house is situated on a small rise surrounded by the fields of hennequen. Here, don Antonio Ucan, a local mayan man will tell the visitor about the life of the mayas and also explain the process of cultivating henequen. The tour also includes a visit to cenoten “Dzul Ha”, you’ll swim if you want. Then you’ll eat a typical food. Later, will return to the Merida City.
- What Will You Do- Visit Main House: Historical framework of the haciendas and the hacendados
- Welcome cocktail: Natural Drink, Non-Alcoholic.
- Manual Catching: Process of making ropes by hand
- Visit Scraper: Extraction of the Henequen fiber
- Visit to the Press: Process of elaboration of bales of Henequen
- Visit Corchería: Process for the production of machine ropes
- Ride in Truck: Tour of the plantations on platforms pulled by mules
- Visit Casa Maya: Explanation of the fieldwork by Don Antonio
- Cenote: Time to swim in the cenote "Dzul Ha" (1 Hour) (Bring swimwear)
- What Is Included- Transportation
- Driver/professional guide bilingual (English - Spanish)
- Pick Up (08:00 Hrs at Starbucks Gran Plaza, 08:20 Hrs At Starbucks Paseo Montejo, 08:30 Hrs Office Sotuta de peón (Street 55 Between 58 and 60, downtown)
- Entrance fees
- Welcome drink
- What Is Not Included- Other drinks
- Personal expenses
- TransfersWe will pick you up and drop you off in your accommodation in Merida. Please contact us after booking to provide the address.
At the day of the tour, please be in the lobby of your hotel 10 minutes before the indicated time. Our staff will call you by your name when approaching. The staff will reconfirm the destination of the route and include them requested, then will address you to the transportation.