Join us in this tour and visit the historic city of Guimarães.
Guimarães has a significant historical importance due to the role it played in the foundation of Portugal. The city is often referred to as the “birthplace of the Portuguese nationality” or “the cradle city” (Cidade Berço in Portuguese) because it is widely believed that Portugal’s first King, Afonso Henriques, was born there, and also due to the fact that the Battle of São Mamede – which is considered the seminal event for the foundation of the Kingdom of Portugal – was fought in the vicinity of the city.
We’ll meet you in Torre dos Clérigos, in Porto, and departure to Guimarães aboard our 9 seat van.
Pick-up time: 09 a.m. or 2:30 p.m.
Drop-off time: 13:00 p.m. or 18:00 p.m.
In Guimarães, we’ll visit the inner city, the Castle and the Paço dos Duques (entry to the Castle and the Paços included in the Tour price)
This program is not available on: 1st January; Easter Sunday; 1st May; 25th December.
You should wear comfortable clothing and shoes; bring your camera.
We’ll be carrying bottled water.
- What Will You DoYou will visit the inner city, the castle and the Paço dos Duques.
The inner city is classified as World Heritage by UNESCO since 2001. In the ancient squares Largo da Oliveira or Praça Santiago, you'll find lovely restaurants and cafés to sit and relax, as well as beautiful surroundings that echo of Medieval days.
The Castle of Guimarães was classified as National Monument in 27th August 1908. In 1937 a major rebuilt began, having been reinaugurated on the 4th June 1940.
Paço dos Duques was built in the XV century, in Guimarães, by D. Afonso, 1 st Duque de Bragança, for his mistress. Some rooms have been turned into a museum, where you can see the Persian and Flemish tapestry, paintings, etc.
- What To ExpectOn this Tour, you will experience a glimpse of the birth and history of Portugal and of how life unfolded on medieval days, especially life at court.
All this, while traveling back and forth with the comfort and security of modern days.
- What Is Included- Driver.
- Transport in a 9-seater van.
- Entry to the castle and Paço dos Duques.
- Bottled water aboard the van.
- What Is Not Included- Expenses (tips, souvenirs, etc) which are not specifically defined.
- Entries other than the mentioned ones.
- TransfersWe will pick you up and drive to and forth the city of Guimarães in our comfortable 09 seat van.
Meeting and drop off point is at Torre dos Clérigos.