Kanchenjunga Circuit trek is an ideal trekking trail for the trekkers who enjoy solitude. This is a 21 days trek starting from Kathmandu, capital city of Nepal. We can do this trek by camping throughout the trail or by staying in a tea house. We will fly to Suketar airport located in far north-east part of Nepal from where our trek starts.
We will trek through the beautiful villages, forests and landscapes observing different ethnic groups far from modern world still practicing their traditional culture. On our trek we can see the traces of Kirat civilization throughout the inhabited areas.
On this trek we can see central, south and north face of Kanchenjunga. Also we can see mount Yalungkang, Jannu, Makalu, Lhotse and Everest on the way to Selela Pass. We might also see snow leopard, red panda, musk deer and several species of birds and butterflies preserved in the country’s most pristine Oak and Rhododendron forest. After trekking through the forested area of Kanchenjunga the trail passes through high altitude with less vegetation and more rocky terrain. We will cross Mirgin La Pass of 4725 meters and enjoy the panoramic views of mount Makalu, Chamlang and Everest.
After then we trek through the massive glacier of Kanchenjunga from where we will get to see the most incredible close up view of mount Kanchenjunga.
Finally we will reach to the base camp of mount Kanchenjunga at Pang Pema. After then we will start trekking back to Suketar collecting many unforgettable moments of the trek. Kanchenjunga Circuit trek will certainly fill you with new energy and inspiration in your life.You can learn more about Kanchenjunga Conservation Area.
Located in the far north-eastern corner of Nepal, Mt. Kanchenjunga is considered to be one of the most beautiful mountain massifs, scaling 8,586 m. Kanchenjunga Park itself is a wilderness virtually untouched by time and tourism, perfect for the adventurous trekker looking for something unique.
The trek heads through diverse land topography, forests and villages. You’ll see central, south and north Kanchenjunga, as well as Yalungkang, Mt. Jannu, Makalu, Lhotse and Mt. Everest on the way to Selela Pass. Keep your eyes open and you might see snow leopards, mask deer and several species of birds, along with the country’s most pristine oak and rhododendron forests.
After trekking through the forested area, the trail winds into higher and harsher terrain. Cross the Mirgin-La pass at 4725 meters and enjoy the views of Makalu, Chamlang and Everest. Next you will pass the glacier, and finally you are rewarded with an incredible, close-up view of Kanchenjunga peak as you approach the Kanchenjunga base camp at Pang Pema.
- What Will You DoITINERARY
Day 1:Fly from Kathmandu to Suketar (2,420m), trek to Lalikha
Day 2:Lalikharka to Khesewa (2120m/6,955ft)
Day 3:Khesewa to Mamankhe (1785m/5,856ft)
Day 4:Mamankhe to Yamphudin (2080m/6824ft)
Day 5:Yamphudin to Tortong (2,995m/9,826ft)
Day 6:Tortong to Cheram (3,870m/12,696ft)
Day 7:Cheram: Acclimatization and rest
Day 8:Cheram to Ramchaur (Ramche) (4,580m/15,026ft)
Day 9:Ramche to Yalung Base Camp (4500m) to Cheram
From Ramche, we walk further up the valley. We then follow a stream before climbing on the moraine top until confronted by Kanchenjunga’s southern face. We walk further ahead for a glimpse of the Jannu Himal. We continue our trek further towards the Oktang Monastery. From here, we climb further up and reach the Yalung Base Camp. The views from the base camp are extraordinary. Kumbakarna (Jannu), Nyukla Lachung and other Himalayan peaks are close by. We descend and spend the night at Cheram.
Day 10:Cheram to Sele La (4290m/ 14,074ft)
Day 11:Sele La to Ghunsa (3,595/11,794)
Day 12:Ghunsa to Kambachen (4,050m/13,287ft)
Day 13:Kambachen to Lhonak (4,780m/15,682ft)
Day 14:Kanchenjunga base camp, overnight at Pangpema (5,143m)
From Lhonak, we trek towards the Kanchenjunga Base Camp. Our trail is alongside the gigantic Kanchenjunga Glacier. After passing Pangpema we descend towards the Kanchenjunga Base Camp. The view from the base camp is extraordinary. Mt. Kanchenjunga, Jannu Himal and other Himalayan peaks are ours to admire. We descend back to Pangpema to spend the night.
Day 15:Pangpema to Lhonak
Day 16:Lhonak to Ghunsa (3475m/11,400ft)
Day 17:Ghunsa to Amjilosa (2,308m/7,572ft)
Day 18:Amjilosa to Chirwa (1,270m/4,166ft)
Day 19:Chirwa to Phurumbu (1,549/5,082ft)
Day 20:Phurumbu to Suketar
Day 21:Fly to Kathmandu
- What To Expect- Explore two base camps in Kanchenjunga: Makalu and Everest
- Pangpema base camp at 5100m
- Discover different local ethnic communities such as Rai and Limbu
- Immerse yourself in the rich flora and fauna of the region
- Local culture and activities
- Beautiful wilderness with adventure
- Monasteries and high mountains
- What Is Included- Airport/ hotel pick up and drop off by private vehicle
- Hotels in Kathmandu, inclusive of breakfast
- Meals during the trek
- Guest house ,tea house and camping during the trek
- Government licensed, experienced English speaking guide
- One porter per two people
- Food, accommodation, salary, insurance, equipment and medicine for all staff.
- All government taxes
- One trekking map per person
- Kanchenjunga permit and conservation fee
- Surface transportation
- Sleeping bags and down jackets for the trek (should be refunded after trek)
- First aid kit
- Domestic flight tickets KTM–BDR/Suketar
- Trekking Map
- What Is Not Included- Travel and rescue insurance
- Beverage bills, bar bills, telephone bills and Personal expenses.
- Nepal entry visa
- Tips for guide, porter and driver
- Optional trips and sightseeing if extended
- Excess baggage charges (if you have more than 20 kg of luggage, a cargo charge is around $1.5 per kg)
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu because of early arrival, late departure, early return from mountain (due to any reason) than the scheduled itinerary
- Lunch and evening meals in Kathmandu (and also in the case of early return from the mountain than the scheduled itinerary)
- Know Before You Go- Day pack (25–35 liters)Pack cover
- Sleeping bag comfortable to -10 to -20 Degree(dependent upon season, weather forecast.
- Waterproof and comfortable hiking boots
- Camp shoes (down booties or running shoes)
- Head light with extra batteries,Trekking poles
- Trekking Clothing(3 pair t-shirt,2 pairs trousers or trekking pants,
- Wicking, quick-dry boxers or briefs (3)
- Wicking, quick-dry sports bra (for women)
- Heavyweight long underwear bottoms
- Mid weight long underwear bottoms
- Mid weight long underwear top
- Wool or synthetic T-shirts (2)
- Mid weight fleece or soft-shell jacket (2)
- Convertible hiking pants
- Fleece pants or insulated pants
- waterproof/windproof jackets
- Lightweight waterproof/breathable rain pants
- Mid weight fleece gloves or wool gloves,Liner gloves
- Mid weight fleece/wool winter hat,Sun hat
- Mid weight wool or synthetic socks (3 pairs)
- Liner socks (optional),Sunglasses
- Sun lotion 35 to 40,Water Bottle
- Water filter,Slippers,Towels,Rain coat
- Personal medicine kits