Starting from the Cais do Sodré area and crossing the majestic Praça do Comercio in our Sitways (seated segways), we will visit the Old Town district of Alfama.
Alfama is Lisbon’s oldest quarter. Spread over the southeastern slope of the hill crowned by Castelo de São Jorge, the picturesque neighbourhood is composed of a maze of narrow streets, winding alleyways, and steep flights of steps.
Its Kasbah-like layout is deliberate – this is the city’s ancient Arab district. Alfama derives from the Arabic word Al-Hama that means “source of warm water, good water”. The tightly-packed lanes, small archways, and stone-paved terraces are full of atmosphere and great fun to explore. Alfama was one of the few areas of Lisbon, which wasn’t destroyed by the big 1775 earthquake. Lisbon’s old quarter offers many things to see. Besides the castle, there are several historic 17th-century churches in the vicinity, as well as the city’s impressive cathedral.
Alfama also wakes up at night, when some of the city’s most authentic cafés and restaurants open their doors to serve delicious traditional cuisine and plenty of bonhomie. The neighbourhood is also home to traditional fado houses, where this unique Portuguese musical expression can be appreciated in rustic and romantic surroundings.
- What Will You Do- Explore Lisbon's oldest neighborhood in a personal and ecological way of transportation
- Admire the panoramic views of the Viewpoint of Santa Luzia and Portas do Sol
- Pass through historic 17th century churches and check out the largest flea market in Lisbon
- What Is Included- Professional guide
- 1 Sitway (Sit Segway)
- What Is Not Included- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- TransfersWe have 3 Pick up and Drop Off stations:
2. CAIS SODRÉ
3. PARQUE NAÇÕES
Please contact us after booking if you want to be picked up in one of these points for more details.