Mauthausen concentration camp in Upper Austria was one of the largest labour camp complexes in the Third Reich. Between 1938 and 1945 about 200,000 people from all over Europe were imprisoned in Mauthausen. About half of them lost their lives. Today, Mauthausen Memorial stands as a reminder of the darkest days of Austria’s history.
Become acquainted with the history of Mauthausen Memorial during the 2,5-hour ride from Vienna. Listen to your guide explaining the historical context and learn about life at Mauthausen concentration camp before its liberation in May 1945. Upon arrival at the Memorial explore the preserved historic premises at your own pace with audio-guides (available in 11 major languages).
See the Wiener-Graben quarry, the Stairs of Death, the SS-Quarters, the Camp Prison, the Gas Chamber and visit the newly re-opened Mauthausen Museum.
Heading back to Vienna stop at a local restaurant for lunch (own expense). Your tour concludes at the Vienna State Opera House.
Honour the victims by learning about this crucial period in history. We donate a percentage of the tour’s profit to the Memorial.
- What Will You Do- Transfer to the central tour meeting point by taxi
- 08:30am Tour start: Travel across Lower Austria to Mauthausen
- 10:45am Stopover in Mauthausen - approx. 3 hours
- Self-guided Visit with audio-guides (available in English, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Russian and Spanish).
- 01:45pm Lunch break at a local restaurant (own expense)
- 02:45pm Return trip to Vienna
- ca. 5:00pm Tour concludes at the Vienna State Opera House
- What Is Included- Roundtrip transportation to and from Vienna
- Accompaniment by friendly english-speaking tour escort
- Free admission to Mauthausen Memorial
- Self-guided tour of the camp with audio-guides
- CO2 certificates to offset the tour's carbon emissions are included in the tour price
- What Is Not Included- Lunch
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Know Before You Go- This tour is not recommended for children under 14 years. Mauthausen Memorial will not hand out audio-guides to children under 14 years
- Tour departure: 8:30am / Duration: 8,5 hours
- Guaranteed departures with a minimum of only two people
- Taxi fee to the tour meeting point is included