Listing ID: 42799
The Templars Tour Starting From Lisbon: Visit The Medieval Cities Of Tomar And AlmourolJoin us in a historic tour alongside the path of the templar knights in Portugal! This full-day tour starts and ends in Lisbon and is led by a tour guide that speaks Portuguese, English, Spanish and French. Duration: 10 Hours (approx.)
Easy Cancellation - Cancel 3 days before for a full refund
Printed or mobile voucher accepted
Fast booking confirmation
After meeting your guide in the center of Lisbon, make your journey north in a cozy minivan to the Almourol Castle, one of the most historic places in Portugal. Along the way, you will learn about the Knights Templar who used this castle to protect the border created by the Tagus River. Get to the river near the castle and enjoy a boat cruise to your gates.
Then, stroll through the history of this medieval and steep fortification. Continue with a walk to the serene village of Abrantes. The village that at the time of the Christian Reconquest of the Iberian Peninsula, in 1118 or 1148, was conquered by the forces of D. Afonso Henriques (1112-1185), who determined the reconstruction of the defenses.
The need to defend the so-called Tagus River gave value to the place at a time when the Order of the Templars adopted an impressive defensive line in the middle course of the river.
Then, continue to the charming city of Tomar, home to some of the most impressive monuments and buildings. Get knowledge from your guide on how the Knights Templar used a religious code to form the city, such as the four monuments placed around the city to resemble a crucifix.
In Tomar, see famous monuments, such as the 12th-century Convent of Christ, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and visit the Castle of Tomar. Then, take a lunch break at a local restaurant.
After that, venture to the Gothic style church of Santa Maria do Olival, a beautiful 12th century church built for the Knights Templar.
After Tomar, sit in your minivan for the trip back to Lisbon.
- What Will You DoImmerse yourself in the rich history of the Knights Templar during this guided tour for small groups in the Portuguese villages Abrantes and Tomar from Lisbon.
Spend the day learning about the military force that contributed to the famous crusades during the Middle Ages in Europe.
Discover the Castle of Almourol, built by the Knights Templar and visit the Convent of Christ, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which was once a fortification where the knights lived. With a capacity limited to eight people, enjoy a more intimate experience with your guide.
- What To Expect- Private tour to important sites of the medieval Knights Templar
- A boat cruise along the Tagus River takes you to the gates of Almourol castle
- Visit the Convent of Christ, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and the Castle of Tomar
- Round-trip transfer from the hotel in a private vehicle from Lisbon for a smooth transportation
- What Is Included- Mineral water
- Driver / guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transportation in air-conditioned minivan
- Private tour
- Transport by private vehicle
- What Is Not Included- Lunch
- Know Before You Go- Tours are made in 6 or 8 seated vans with a guide. When the Group consists of more than 8 Persons, 2 Vans and 2 Guides will be made available
- Tour schedules and tours are Flexible. The important thing is to provide a wonderful day and to respond to your wishes