Quinta de Santa Cristina, a secular family estate, is part of the Demarcated Region of Vinho Verde (in the northwest of Portugal), one of the largest and the oldest demarcated regions in the world and where is produced a wine with unique characteristics.
It is located in Celorico de Basto, 45 minutes away from Porto or Braga, by car, enjoying good access. You can chose start your wine tour at 11:00 am or 3:00 pm at the estate.
The visit, always in small-groups and guided by a person from the estate, begins with the explanation of the history of the Vinho Verde wine and Quinta de Santa Cristina. After that, the visitors plant a vine themselves, on which they can leave a message.
Then there is a short walk (about 1km) through the vineyards surrounding the winery, allowing to observe the characteristics of the grape varieties, soil, irrigation and winegrowing process. It also includes a visit to the camellias’ garden.
The visit continues in the winery, built in 2012, discovering the secrets of the Vinho wine production. You will get to know the grape reception area, presses/traditional stone tanks called “lagares” area, where the red grapes are stomped by feet, vat and fermentation area, ending in the bottling and labelling area.
At the end, there is a visit to the wine shop and the tasting room, where the visitor will have the opportunity to taste 3 wines paired with regional products: typical bread, smoked ham, pork sausage, sheep cheese with olive oil and herbs, jam and marinated olives. The wine tasting will be complemented with a short explanation of the aromas and flavors of the tasted wines.
If the weather is good, this wine tasting occurs on the terrace, overlooking the vineyards and the mountains of Marão and Alvão – a stunning view. Come check this and discover this unique wine in the World!
In the end, you can buy wines and regional products in our shop and we offer you a souvenir so you never forget of the Vinho Verde Quinta de Santa Cristina and the good memories you have created here!
- What Will You Do- Planting of a grapevine.
- Guided visit to the vineyards.
- Visit to the winery: grapes reception area, press / lagares area, area of vats and fermentation, bottling and labelling area.
- Tasting of 3 wines Quinta de Santa Cristina.
- Tasting of regional products (typical bread, smoked ham, pork sausage, sheep cheese with olive oil and herbs, jam, marinated olives).
- What To Expect- Small-group tour
- Local guide
- Get to know a unique wine region and wine in the world
- Taste regional products
- What Is Included- Planting of a vine
- Walking tour through the vineyards
- Guided visit to the winery
- Wine tasting of 3 wines
- Regional products tasting
- A souvenir from Quinta de Santa Cristina
- Free Wi-Fi
- What Is Not Included- Gratuities (optional)
- Transportation to/from Quinta de Santa Cristina