Our trip starts from Athens.
An excursion that includes seven of the most important archaeological sites in Greece
This 2 day tour takes you to some of the most popular highlights of Greece. On our way I will give you a lot of information about history, mythology and culture.
We will enjoy a visit to Delphi, novel of the world and the religious sites of Meteora. After, we will pass by Thermopylae, where the 300 Spartans fought and the breathtaking Arachova. We’ll spend the night in Delphi (accommodation must be booked beforehand, not included in the price of my tour), where in the evening we’ll have free time for activities etc.
The second day we will visit Mycenae, the temple of Apollo Epikourios, the charming seaside town of Nafplion and the Palamidi castle, followed by a trip to the Ancient Olympia. In Nafplion we’ll have some free time maybe for food or a walk through the beautiful city.
This tour can be adjusted accordingly to your needs.
- What Will You Do1. Depart from Athens with your local guide on a private vehicle.
FIRST DAY, Thermopylae,Meteora,Delphi,Arachova,Distomo and a romantic night stay at Delphi:
2. Our trip will start from Athens and then we will drive to Thermopylae, where we will visit Thermopylae's Innovative Centre of Historical Information and we will see the Statue of Leonidas.
3. Afterwards we will drive to the breathtaking Meteora, where we will visit a lot of monasteries, built on top of 1000 foot rocks, such as the Holy Monastery of Varlaam, Rousanou and the Holy Trinity.
4. After a wonderful scenic drive through mountains and fertile valleys we reach Delphi, located under the 3000ft tall mountain Parnassos. There we will visit the Archaeological museum of Delphi, we will see the Archaeological site of Delphi and the site of the temple of Apollo.
5. Then, we visit the village of Distomo. On June 10, 1944, for over two hours, Waffen-SS troops of the 2nd company, I/7 battalion, 4th SS Polizei Panzergrenadier Division under the command of SS-Hauptsturmführer Fritz Lautenbach went door to door and massacred Greek civilians as part of "savage reprisals" for a partisan attack upon the unit's convoy. A total of 214 men, women and children were killed in Distomo, a small village near Delphi. According to survivors, SS forces "bayoneted babies in their cribs, stabbed pregnant women, and beheaded the village priest. We'll pay our tribute to the victims of the massacre.
6. Overnight at Delphi.
SECOND DAY, Mycenae,Temple of Epicurean Apollo,Nafplion and Ancient Olympia:
7. First stop at Ancient Olympia. Olympia is a small town in Elis on the Peloponnese peninsula in Greece, famous for the nearby archaeological site of the same name, which was a major Panhellenic religious sanctuary of ancient Greece, where the ancient Olympic Games were held. The site was primarily dedicated to Zeus and drew visitors from all over the Greek world as one of a group of such "Panhellenic" centres which helped to build the identity of the ancient Greeks as a nation.
8. Then, we'll visit the Temple of Epicurean Apollo in Bassae. At an altitude of 1130 meters between Ilia, Arcadia and Messinia, it resists one of the most important and best preserved monuments of ancient Greece. The only one that combines all three architectural rhythms (Doric, Ionic, Corinthian) made by the Parthenon architect, Ictino, after suggestion by the priests of the Delphi oracle. The UNESCO World Heritage Site was dedicated by the Figals to Epicurean Apollo, that is to the assistant and supporter of war and disease.
9. Afterwards, we visit Ancient Mycenae. Perseus establishes the most important and richest palace center of the Late Bronze Age in Greece, Mycenae: The Kingdom of Mythical Agamemnon.
10. In the end, we visit Nafplion. The first capital city after the greek revoloution in 1821. We will visit the great Palamidi Castle and Bourtzi.
11. Return to your address in Athens.
- What To Expect- Visit to some of the most important and well-preserved archaeological sites in Greece
- Visit to the picturesque town of Nafplion
- Taste tarditional flavors
- Romantic stay in Delphi
- What Is Included- Private transportation
- WiFi on board
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- All Fees and Taxes
- What Is Not Included- Not allowed to guide you inside the monuments
- Tickets to archaeological sites
- Know Before You Go- This is a private tour. Only your group will participate
- The maximum capacity of the tour is of 8 people per group
- Bring your ID with you