Today is action packed and fast paced, so we make an early start from Hobart and drive directly to the stunning Tasman Peninsula. This area has amazing history, fascinating stories and spectacular scenery. It is also home to Australia’s highest sea cliffs. We enjoy the panoramic views of the area from Pirates Bay Lookout which provides a great vantage here of the surrounding area.
Passing through Eaglehawk Neck and “The Dogline” our Tour Guides will share with you some truly amazing history and stories of the area.
Then we begin one of Tasmania’s “Great Short Walks”. We follow a spectacular track, of around 2 km’s along the Waterfall Bay cliff top. The walk takes around 45-60 minutes, is undulating, but categorised as an easy walk. The track concludes at the remarkable rock formations of Tasman Arch and Devil’s Kitchen.
Continuing our journey, we arrive at the Port Arthur Historic Site. As we enter the Port Arthur Historic Site, there is a wealth of information and history to take in and you will have ample time to explore and discover the nooks and crannies with around 4 hours on site. Your entry includes a complimentary Harbour Cruise around the Isle of the Dead and a guided walking tour with one of the Site’s expert guides. Discover the grim and violent history of the early Australian Penal system and get a sense of the isolation experienced by the convicts in this “inescapable prison”. With around 4 hours here, you have ample time to walk amongst the main penitentiary; see the solitary confinement cells and many more buildings in this World Heritage open air museum.
On our return to Hobart, we make a stop at Federation Chocolate Factory, a small family run boutique chocolate stop, with a variety of chocolate flavours to sample. Further along we arrive in the late afternoon into historic Richmond Village. Meander the streets, stop for a coffee, visit the Lolly Shop and walk across Australia’s oldest bridge still in use – a convict built sand-stone bridge, reported to be haunted!
Finally, before we re-enter Hobart we stop for a fabulous view across Hobart from a local lookout. A picturesque way to return to the city. We drop you back to your Hobart City accommodation around 6.00pm.
- What To Expect- Visit Port Arthur Historic Site (4 hours)
- Photograph spectacular views from the Waterfall Bay Cliff Top Walk (easy grade 2km)
- See the Tasman National Park highlights – Devils Kitchen & Tasman Arch
- Enjoy the stories from Pirates Bay Lookout, Eaglehawk Neck & The “Dogline”
- Sample the local chocolates made at Federation Chocolate Factory
- Visit historic Richmond Village
- Enjoy the spectacular view at a local Hobart City lookout
- What Is Included- Port Arthur Historic Site entrance fee
- Guided walking tour of Port Arthur Historic Site
- Port Arthur Harbor Cruise
- Professional guides & interpretation
- Small, friendly groups
- Central Hobart Hotel & Backpacker Hostel pick up and drop off
- Airport drop offs on request with prior arrangement