Just one day to check off all the “must sees” in Rome? Problem solved. Meet your expert guide on the magnificent Piazza Navona and be taken on an extended tour of the heart of Roman Dolce Vita. Catch the best of Baroque Rome including the Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, and Piazza Venezia while taking in the bustling Roman atmosphere en route!
Your full day Rome and Vatican City tour begins on Piazza Navona, the most beautiful square in Rome. As you stroll across this picturesque open space, loved by Romans and home from home for buskers and artists, Bernini’s remarkable Baroque fountains take center stage. Fountain of the Four Rivers in particular will amaze and impress. Our next port of call is the Pantheon, a second to none architectural marvel built nearly 2,000 years ago as a Pagan temple to honor the Gods!
No visit to Rome is complete without a trip to the Trevi Fountain, immortalized in Fellini’s film “La Dolce Vita” by none other than Anita Ekberg who decides to take an impromptu dip. Be sure to toss three coins into the blue water before moving on to the monumental archaeology of ancient Rome and the Colosseum.
At Trajan’s Column, a massive monument to Emperor Hadrian’s victory in Dacia which boasts a myriad of tales in it’s serpentine bas-relief, we’ll rest awhile before continuing on to the Roman Forum archaeological area where you will learn about the origins, rise and inevitable decline of the Caput Mundi, the great ancient city of Rome.
Close nearby, the Colosseum awaits. Get privileged skip the line access through the remarkable Gladiator’s Gate. Once inside, you will be able to walk across the arena floor while marveling at the 360-degree view of the Icon of Rome. Your guide will explain what really made a gladiator and what the games meant to real Romans. After exploring the various levels and views, your guide will leave you to wander around the Colosseum on your own if you so wish.
Following a swift break for lunch, we reconvene in the afternoon, this time at our Vatican City customer service center. Enjoy air conditioning, fast wifi, and take Gladiator selfies using our in-house props and backdrops until it’s time for us to walk past everyone else waiting in line and head straight into the Vatican Museums! See all the major works of art by masters such as Perugino, Giotto, Raphael, and of course Michelangelo. Time inside the magnificent Sistine Chapel is the absolute highlight.
On St. Peter’s Square your guide will relate the origins of the Vatican City State and Swiss Guard. At the end of the tour you will be free to enjoy skip the line access to the Basilica of St. Peter and see Michelangelo’s beautiful Pieta’, Dome, and Baldacchino.
- What To Expect- Get a panoramic overview of ancient Roman history and art from your guide
- Entrance fees are included in the price of this tour
- Optional skip-the-line admission to St. Peter’s Basilica
- Get personal attention from your guide in this small-group tour
- What Is Included- Skip the line tickets to all sites
- Art historian tour guide
- Audio headsets
- Colosseum through Gladiator's Gate
- Colosseum Arena Floor
- Roman Forum
- Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel
- Trevi Fountain
- Piazza Navona
- St. Peter's Basilica (self guided)
- What Is Not Included- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Know Before You Go- For security reasons, backpacks, rucksacks, large handbags, luggage etc. not permitted inside Colosseum and Roman forum
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair