We begin this unforgettable voyage from Lisbon as we drive along the Marginal Avenue, a winding waterfront road with sweeping views of the Tagus River and the Atlantic Ocean. With the Bridge April 25 at our backs we go westwards where we follow the railway line, and see white sandy beaches, fishing vessels, ancient fortresses and old mansions.
During this journey we pass by the picturesque ‘Portuguese Riviera’, the name given to the section that runs, among other places, between Oeiras, Estoril and Cascais. We’ll see the Casino Estoril, the largest in Europe and is believed to be the place where Ian Fleming (author of the most famous Secret Service agent – James Bond) has developed the idea for “Casino Royale”.
As we reach Cascais, take your time to walk around in this, once a fishing village but now a popular holiday destination. Bask in the narrow alleys and see the traditional Portuguese white houses or enjoy relaxing at the beachfront for a few moments while watching the sea. Realize why today it’s an elitist and chic hotspot, after being a refuge during World War II for numerous royal families in Europe.
Then we continue to Cabo da Roca, the westernmost point of continental Europe. On our way we will see one of the most famous beaches in this region, Guincho, very popular among surfers and other water sport addicts because of its strong winds and perfect waves. Prepare the camera because the views of Cabo da Roca are some real postcards!
After some free time to contemplate the landscapes, we will continue towards Sintra, which its cultural landscape is an UNESCO World Heritage Site. Before exploring its historic center, we will go to the Quinta da Regaleira, one of the most romantic places on the face of the planet. The property has 4 hectares, a palace, lush gardens, lakes, grottoes and enigmatic constructions, places that hide mysterious meanings evoked by orders such as Freemasonry and the Templars.
After lunch, enjoy some free time to explore the village and see the National Palace (where the Portuguese royal of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries used to spend the summer months).
Then we will go to the Palace of Pena in the top of the Serra de Sintra. It will be easy to fall in love at first sight! Pena is much more than a castle, a unique expression of the architectural Romanticism, something out of a fairy tale, situated approximately 500 meters above sea level, a World Heritage Site, blended from many styles: gothic, neo-Manuelin, neo-Islamic and neo-Renaissance.
Before returning to Lisbon, what better way to end the day with a sweet taste and experience one of the most delicious traditional pastry…
- What To Expect- Free time to explore Sintra and Cascais by yourself
- See the fantastic Quinta da Regaleira and visit its palace
- Get to know Sintra's most beautiful palaces
- Enjoy the Portuguese Riviera, Cascais
- Go to Cabo da Roca, westernmost point of continental Europe
- What Is Included- Professional guide
- All transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Small-group tours (maximum 8 people)
- Wi-fi available in minivan
- Entrance fee and guided tour inside the Quinta da Regaleira
- Pickup in centrally located hotels in Lisbon
- Drop off in 2 points in the center: Praça dos Restauradores or Praça Marquês de Pombal
- Queijada, a typical sweet of Sintra
- What Is Not Included- Tickets to other attractions
- Drop off at the hotel
- TransfersWe'll pick you up at your hotel located in the center of Lisbon (note that you may have to walk a short distance from your accommodation for boarding) or place as close as possible, only in certain areas of the city (downtown).
It may be necessary to arrive at a standard departure point (ie at Cais do Sodré, at the train station or at the Saldanha subway station).
The tour ends in the center of Lisbon (Praça Marquês de Pombal or Restauradores)