When you’ve been doing something for 8,000 years, it’s a good bet you know your stuff. And Georgia definitely knows its stuff when it comes to wine. We offer you a wine tour to the East of Georgia and a unique opportunity to participate in the harvest of grapes and winemaking.
During this tour you will visit the traditional wine regions of the country: Kakheti and Kartli. You will discover small wineries that make artisanal wines by a thousand-year -old Georgian traditional technology as well as established wineries that produce world famous brands.
You will have an amazing opportunity to learn about different ways of winemaking and taste many local wines and dishes.
- What Will You DoDay 1: Tbilisi
Arrive in Tbilisi after your flight, you need to reach the hotel, you can check in any time after 14:00 Tbilisi time. Meeting in the lobby of the hotel at 19:00 Tbilisi time (UTC 04:00) and drive to Restaurant Funicular, where you will have welcome dinner.
Day 2: Mtskheta- Mukhrani- Chardakhi- Tbilisi
Begin your journey today by visiting the sites of the old capital of Georgia Mtskheta, such as Svetitskhoveli Cathedral (11th century) and Jvari Monastery (6th century). Afterwards, enjoy a wine tour to Chateau Mukhrani founded in 1878 by the Prince of Mukhrani, heir of the royal family of Georgia. You will see Ivan Mukhranbatoni’s royal palace, gardens and old cellars, stroll through vineyards, and visit the ultra-modern winery. You will have an opportunity to taste the finest wines of Georgia and delicious Georgian cuisine. After lunch, you will visit Iago’s Wine that is small boutique winery producing qvevri wines from organic vineyards. When back to Tbilisi, you will enjoy natural wines at Vino Underground wine bar where winemakers will be pleased to introduce their wines and share own stories about winemaking. After dinner at restaurant, enjoy your walk in the Old City.
Day 3: Sighnaghi – Telavi
Today, you will explore centuries-long history of Kakheti wine culture. In the morning, visit to Bodbe nunnery, where Saint Nino was buried and Sighnaghi, a beautiful town founded in the 18th century that overlooks amazing Alazani Valley and spectacular Great Caucasus Mountains. Afterwards, enjoy a visit to the Prince Aleksandre Chavchavadze Tsinandali Museum, its amazing garden, and old wine cellar with unique collection of 16,500 bottles of different wines. Afterwards you will have a lovely experience to quality qvevri wines at a boutique winery Teleda. In the evening, you will journey to a caste-type hotel Chateau Mere (or Royal Batoni) and enjoy a delicious dinner and spectacular views.
Day 4: Telavi-Tbilisi
Enjoy your visit to monasteries with the centuries-long history of winemaking such Ikalto Monastery (6th century), Alaverdi Monastery with wine cellar founded in 11th century, and Nekresi Monastery Complex (4-6th centuries). Afterwards, a visit to Kindzmarauli Wine Cellar that has a large vineyard library with more than 400 grape varieties that grows in Georgia. After lunch, return to Tbilisi. (In autumn you can participate in harvest and wine production if interested).
Day 5: Tbilisi
After breakfast, check out and this tour will finish, we’ll escort you to the airport.
- What To Expect- Georgia is First in Making Wine: Grape pips found on Georgian soil are believed to be from the V-IV millennium BC
- Georgia is First in Variety of Wine: Georgia has over 500 native grape varieties and 8,000 years of winemaking history
- Georgia is First in Qvevri Winemaking: Traditional Georgian clay pots, or qvevri, used for fermentation date as far back as the VI-V millennium BC. UNESCO added this winemaking method to the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage List
- What Is Included- Transportation by comfortable air conditioned bus, minibus or minivan
- Accommodation in TWIN rooms
- Half board catering service, breakfast at the hotel and dinners at the best local restaurants
- English speaking guide service
- Wine degistations
- Entrance fees and local guides
- 1 bottles of mineral water without gas per person per day
- What Is Not Included- Any international flights are not included in the tour price. You can organize your flights separately at any point, or book your flight with us, or simply contact us
- Travel insurance is not include in the tour price
- Single room supplement
- Service except described