Learn the history of Lisbon on a full-day city tour, available as a group or private option.
Following a pick-up from your hotel, travel by minivan through the city’s historic neighborhoods, starting with Portas do Sol and Nossa Senhora do Monte belvederes.
Wander the winding streets of one of Lisbon’s oldest areas, before going to Lisbon Cathedral, the oldest church in the city. Admire the rose window, reconstructed from fragments of the original. Next, explore the Alfama, one of Lisbon’s oldest neighbourhoods. Walk down twisting cobblestone streets and stairs lined with quaint cafés en route to Belém. Here, you will learn how the city expanded during the period of the “Age of Discoveries.”
Next, marvel at the dazzling facade of Jerónimos Monastery, one of Portugal’s architectural jewels. Go to the defensive Belém Tower at the mouth of the River Tagus, and see the Monument to the Ages of Discoveries. Taste a traditional Pastel de Belém custard tart after lunch.
In the afternoon, head back to the city center, following the 18th-century aqueduct to one of Lisbon’ hidden gems; the Mãe d’Água Reservoir in the Amoreiras district. End in the Baixa area, and learn how Lisbon was rebuilt after the devastating earthquake of 1755. Baixa is also one of the best places to enjoy Lisbon by night!
- What To Expect- Journey through the history of Lisbon on a tour of its oldest districts such as Alfama and Castelo
- Marvel at city views from Portas do Sol and Nossa Senhora do Monte belvederes
- See Lisbon's old Cathedral
- Be dazzled by the Jerónimos Monastery, one of Portugal's architectural masterpieces
- Learn all about the "Age of Discoveries" at Belem Tower
- Taste a typical custard tart of Belem
- Follow the Águas Livres Aqueduct to the Mãe d'Água Reservoir
- Take the route of historic Tram 28 to Chiado and Baixa
- What Is Included- Transportation by air-conditioned minivan (with optional walking)
- Visit to Lisbon Cathedral
- Pastel de Belém (custard tart) tasting
- Visit to Jerónimos Monastery
- Visit to Mãe d'Água Reservoir
- What Is Not Included- Lunch
- Visit to the Castelo de Sao Jorge
- Full cathedral tour
- Full Jerónimos Monastery tour
- Visit to Belém Tower
- Know Before You Go- Please wear comfortable shoes
- This tour is not recommended on Sundays and Mondays as many attractions are closed