We will leave Monchique in the direction of Alferce, always among trees, mainly large oak trees and acacias, some pine trees here and there some Monchique oaks (quercus canariensis willd) and a great variety of shrubs, such as arbutus (medronheiro), heather or gorse and other crawling like rosemary or cistus.
The large trees, mainly cork oaks are a considerable source of yield by the cork they give, they provide us with their superb shade on the hottest days, making this route feasible all year round.
We will visit what is left of the Moinho da Rocha, the miller’s house and the stream with its waterfalls and catch. In winter, with more water, we are delighted by the roar of water running in quantity, in summer, with less water we can enter the stream and refresh ourselves in the crystalline waters.
There is the possibility of still visiting a destillery of medronho or at the end we can make this visit by bus.
After a short distance we will visit the Termas da Malhada Quente, once famous for the curative qualities of its waters, now deactivated, although we can drink from the famous water and visit the facilities.
Following the bakery, Dona Antonieta awaits us with the homemade bread, still hot and the herbal tea of local plants. Let’s make ‘tiborna’ (hot bread, just made with olive oil and garlic and a little salt). We’ll have wine too. A delight.
Then it is the return, to the place of departure, although by another way, the vegetation is the same.
Lunch is optional in one of the typical Monchique restaurants based on traditional Monchique food.
Distance and shape of the course: 11 km/Circular.
Difficulty level: Easy/Moderate.
Punctually: 6 (Scale 1 to 10).
– Boots of mountain or tennis with good track.
– Sticks for those who have more difficulty.
– Sun protection.
– Clothes suitable for the weather.
- What Will You DoLet's walk through the woods and wilderness areas, bathing in the waterfall and sampling a tiborna at the bakery.
- What To Expect- A lot of water to run with the possibility to take a bath in the waterfall.
- Large trees.
- Native species in danger of extinction.
- Stunning landscapes.
- Contact with the local population.
- What Is Included- Guided walk.
- Tiborna in the bakery.
- What Is Not Included- Hotel Transfer (optional).
- Lunch (optional).