When you’ve done a boat tour and a bike tour, visited the van Gosh museum, bought tulips, ate some of our delicious cheese and maybe even smoked some marijuana , you start to wonder what else there is to know about being Dutch.
If that is the case, you found just the right tour! The TNT experience ‘Amsterdam: Liberal Capital of the World’ might be exactly what you are looking for.
With a story framed narrative, your local hero will take you on a journey through the city of Amsterdam and explain how we became a world leading country on challenging social issues such as prostitution, abortion, euthanasia and drugs policies.
So many different cultures, ethnicities, religions, beliefs and interests come together in one of the most miraculous and vibrant places on the planet. All these different influences from all over the world have shaped the Netherlands and especially Amsterdam into its current configuration. A classic case of pragmatism giving birth to liberalism. Today, this pragmatic liberalism permeates throughout society.
- What Will You DoDuring the first half of the tour we’ll dive into the history of Amsterdam and reveal how the typical Dutch mindset came to fruition.
In the heart of the Red Light District , we find the Old Church right across the Red Light Windows with next door a kindergarten. It’s basically Amsterdam on a post stamp and it captures the soul of the city in one eye sight. Right next door is the Salvation Army that works in close cooperation with the Sex Workers Collective and the Prostitution Information Center.
During the second part of the tour we will take the ferry to Amsterdam North, where Dutch Liberalism thrives in local art communities. Here you will see, sense and feel what Dutch Liberalism is like nowadays and how it influences our current society. Here, we will also check out many art sculptures and loads of graffiti.
After the tour is finished we will go for a drink in Pllek, a fabulous bar with a fantastic horizon view of the city!
- What To ExpectWhere and what:
The Weeping Tower
The Counting House
Canals and boat houses
Leaning houses and Amsterdam Architecture
Coffee shop Jolly Joker
Red Light Windows
The Old Church (the oldest building in Amsterdam)
Our Dear Lord in the Attic
Central Station (Pierre Cuypers Architecture)
Ferry across the river IJ
Pllek (container bar built by local artist community)
Grafitti and street art (loads of it!)
Port Crane Hotel Feralda
NDSM shipping wharf
Noorderlicht (artist bar made 100% out of recycled material)
The Veronica Ship (as immortalized in the movie Pirate Radio)
- What Is Included- Live guide in English by a local hero (priceless)
- Bottle of water (in case you forgot to bring one)
- Ferry ride across the IJ river towards Amsterdam North
- Face mask (mandatory on the ferry)
- A “stroopwafel” (delicious Dutch sweet treat)
- Entrance to the Buddhist Temple (if it is open)
- Concluding drink with fellow travelers (not included in the price)
- What Is Not Included- Entrance to the coffeeshop, the Old Church, the Red Light Windows, Museum Our Dear Lord in the Attic, Port Crane Hotel Feralda or the Veronica Ship. If open, we will enter the Buddhist Temple.
- The concluding drink in Container Bar Pllek is not included in the price (as more than 50% of the tour price consists of commissions and taxes, we would have to charge €10 more to offer you a €5 drink)