This is a truly unique experience. While you can see glow worms elsewhere in New Zealand, and you can paddle a sea kayak in many places around the world, this is the only place when the two combine for a magical & truly unique experience. This glow worm kayak tour is great fun with great refreshments, beautiful scenery, fantastic birdlife and awesome glow worms.
Enjoy wine from the award winning Mills Reef winery, delicate New Zealand cheeses and refreshments on the edge of Lake McLaren. Our kayak tour guides will prepare and brief you on how to kayak effectively before launching you onto picturesque Lake McLaren at twilight to paddle your kayak to the mysterious glow worm canyon.
The glow worms are situated in a narrow, high-sided canyon at the top of the lake, not in a cave, so our kayak tour only departs once a day before sunset so by the time we get to the glow worm canyon it’s completely dark, as required to see the glow worms to the best effect.
Paddling a kayak may be something you have tried before, but you probably haven’t kayaked at night (we provide head-torches) and certainly not have kayaked in the dark to see constellations of glow worms. It is a fully guided kayak tour, with our professional kayaking guides leading your group and providing a fascinating & informative brief about the life cycle and peculiarities of the New Zealand fungus gnat (glow worms).
A truly magical & unique experience. Not to be missed!
- What Will You Do- Enjoy a scenic glow worm kayaking experience on Lake McLaren
- See glow worms at night in a narrow, high-sided canyon at the top of the lake
- Savor a tasting plate accompanied with wine and juice on the lakeside at sunset
- Learn all about the fascinating and magical glow worm
- What Is Included- Transportation to Lake McLaren launch site from the meeting point
- Refreshments (wine, juice, crackers and cheese, chips and dip, seasonal fruit)
- All kayaking equipment (kayaks, paddles, fleeces, life jackets and spray decks)
- TransfersTransport from Waimarino Adventure Park to the tour launch site, and return is included
We can provide transport from & to your accommodation at an extra cost of $25 per person
Pick up & drop off only from Tauranga and Mount Maunganui accommodation