Enjoy courtesy pick-up from your accommodation before your 3.5-hour guided tour begins at the Princess Royal Fortress historic precinct.
At the National ANZAC Centre interactive displays will take you on an intimate journey of a participant of the war. Under the shade of trees planted to remember fallen soldiers, the Avenue of Honour leads to the Memorial of the Desert Mounted Corps. The dawn service is Padre White’s story. See the view that the departing ANZAC Troops had before they sailed onwards to war; for some of them, the last vision of homeland.
Curving around Mt Adelaide, Breaksea Island comes into view and stories of the construction of the lighthouse and its connection to the ANZAC narrative are revealed. At Middleton Beach we pause a moment to absorb the vista of the ocean and perhaps, if lucky, a glimpse of sheltering whales and calves. Enjoy scones and jam and tea/coffee. Journeying into the city centre, we pass along the way the oldest farm in Western Australia and learn of the contribution it made to the social life and nourishment of the early community; a property with a chequered history.
Then we stop at Patrick Taylor Cottage for look into yesteryears ways. Could Albany have belonged to France? British intervention soon put a stop to that! Landmarks abound with the stamp of British settlement established in the early 1800’s. Hear about the treacherous voyage in the cramped quarters of The Brig Amity and its arrival, in Albany, on Christmas Day.
Your driver will be happy to return you to your accommodation.
- What To Expect- Ideal for first-time visitors, this tour offers an overview of Albany’s past
- Tea, coffee, and snacks will be served at Middleton Beach
- Choose between a morning or afternoon departure time
- Hotel pickup and drop-off is included
- What Is Included- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Local expertise and quality service
- Guided tour and history commentary
- Entry to National ANZAC Centre
- Tea/coffee and scones, jam and cream
- Entry to Patrick Taylor Cottage and Albany's Convict Gaol
- Bottled water