Today the tour starts at 13:00. Pick up your hotel in Nyaung Shwe or on Inle Lake and set off by private wooden motorboat across the main part of the lake to the village of Ywama, the setting for today’s traditional canoe boat tour on Inle Lake.
Upon reaching the village, step into a small but sturdy canoe boat along with one other passenger and the village guide. The village guide will take care of the paddling so you can enjoy the scenery, however it is also a lot of fun to try paddling for a while. Wind through the maze of canals and waterways that form the ‘streets’ of the village. Get up close to the famous stilted houses of Inle.
Although the use of motorized boats on Inle Lake is ever-increasing, many people still use their non-motorized wooden canoes to get around and this tour provides a unique opportunity to step back into this traditional way of life on the lake.
After around half an hour, give the village guide a break from paddling and go ashore for a village visit. Stop at family-run workshops to see the traditional techniques used to make tofu, metal works and gold jewellery. There may even be a chance to learn about traditional medicine. This hour-long walk provides a fascinating insight into the deep-rooted heritage of the Intha people.
Afterwards, return to the wooden canoes and explore another section of Ywama. See more fascinating scenes of local life and enjoy the tranquility of the quieter corners of Inle Lake. During the trip, stop at a stilted house to refuel with tea and snacks. Then loop back to the starting point, say goodbye to the village guide and transfer from canoe to motorboat for the return trip.
- What Is Included- Private boat rental
- Transfer to/from hotel by tuk tuk
- Transfers and tours with English-speaking local guide
- Traditional canoe rent
- Purified drinking water bottle
- What Is Not Included- Lunch and dinner
- lnle Zone fee
- Travel Insurance
- Myanmar visa fee
- Surcharges for other language guides
- Personal expenditure, such as drinks, souvenirs, laundry, camera fees, communications, postage, gratuities etc.
- Services, which are not mentioned above
- Know Before You Go- Boat transfer to Ywama Village: 30 mins to 1 hour
- Canoe up to 1 hour and 30 min
- Walk up to 1 hour and 30 min