The Croatian Homeland War Tour is a 2.5-hour journey through most of the 20th century history of Croatia and the surrounding region. Starting with the World War II, the tour provides an insight into the situation in Croatia with a special emphasis on the fascist Independent State of Croatia and the antifascist resistance movement.
As the war ends communist Yugoslavia is founded, with Josip Broz Tito as the leader and Croatia as one of the six federal republics for the next couple of decades. Yugoslavia’s domestic policy and foreign affairs are presented, with Tito, as an influential politician of the time, in charge. After Tito’s death, the collapse of Yugoslavia starts concluding with a series of brutal wars in the 1990s. Croatia finds it’s way to independence and democracy through the Homeland War, consequences of which can be felt in many ways until the present day.
The tour starts on the Ban Jelacic Square in front of the horseman statue. Multimedia provided by the licensed guide consists of maps, photos and videos which are presented in a chronological order. The tour visits the World War II underground tunnels built during the fascist regime and later used as a public shelter in the Homeland War. Next stop is the basement where local people were hiding during the air raids in Zagreb where the presentation is given on the details of the Homeland War. Last stop is the Memorial Center of Bombing of Zagreb with the exhibition presenting the war in Zagreb. The tour ends in the Memorial Center giving the guests an opportunity to explore the exhibition in detail on their own.
- What Will You Do- A walking tour where you will discover how was it to live in Zagreb during the turbulent years of its recent history.
- Firstly you will visit the World War II underground tunnels presenting the history of Croatia and Zagreb through the 20th century including the World War II, almost 50 years of communist Yugoslavia and the fall of communism in Croatia through the Homeland War.
- The tour continues to a basement used by locals as a shelter during the air raids on Zagreb where the details of the Homeland War are presented through a video presentation.
- The tour finishes off in the Memorial Center of Bombing of Zagreb with the exhibition focusing on effect the war had on Zagreb.
- What To Expect- Visit the WW2 underground tunnels and the basement used as a shelter during the air raids on Zagreb
- Learn more about the life during the communist era in Zagreb
- Find out more about the fall of Yugoslavia and recent turbulent years of Croatian history
- Take a walk around the Museum of Bombing of Zagreb
- What Is Included- Guidance by a certified local guide with 500+ tours experience
- Multimedia presentation about the Croatian Homeland war
- WW2 underground tunnels
- Authentic basement used as a shelter during the bombings
- Museum of Bombing of Zagreb (not included on Mondays and national holidays)
- What Is Not Included- Booklet (optional)